Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Paging Miss Manners

It's official. I'm an old fart. I have started complaining about "kids these days" and their lack of etiquette and slovenly appearances. Rude behavior at drive-through windows or wearing pajama bottoms out in public seem to be the fashion du jour.

To quote a wise woman, No manners is worse than no money. And, unfortunately, this lack of manners does not rear its ugly head just among the young. No, no, no - even those my age and older suffer from this malady and I fear they have either lost or never had good home training.

Whatever happened to saying "thank you" when a gift was received? Verbal and electronic acknowledgments simply do not count, but sadly they are more welcome than no response whatsoever! I want a handwritten note, preferably with impeccable penmanship and on very expensive stationery. I do make exceptions, however:

Let me assure you: this lovely note, written by my nephew, was heartfelt and overwrought. You try being five years old and spelling the word magazine. Even I must admit the smell of Crayola crayons and the feel of stickers is better than anything Crane ever produced.


And although he did not have the appropriate vocabulary to say, "Thank you for the lovely gift subscription to Ladybug magazine that will be sure to enlighten and educate me," four-year-old Walter made his true feelings known by sketching a shoe on a monster, in graphite.

Lesson learned?

3 comments:

  1. Truer words have not been spoken (or written!). Hope you're having some great spring weather. Houston would be scorching by now, but the weather in Columbia has been near perfect the last few days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Miss Nikki! My mom even makes me write thank you notes! Tell Tex I said hello. We have been enjoying beautiful weather here in Savannah, except for the rain last weekend. I get to go on lots of walks to the park.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why does this make me cry every time I read it? I guess as a mother I want my children to do so much better than I have done. I must admit I don't write thank you notes every time I recieve s gift, I usually forget or don't find time because of two small boys, and as far as penmanship goes- well, let's not discuss that! Maybe it is the welling sense of pride in my boys, maybe it is because they had a complete and "totally NEAT" time doing it. Whatever the reason- maybe the gift I got from it was watching them light up whether they were looking at the magazines, or discussing the articles with each other or watching them enjoy writing thank you notes for it I am truly blessed and proud!

    ReplyDelete