Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Red, White and Blue Ridge

As I noted in my last post, my ma and pa told me I was going on an adventure. And what an adventure it was! We headed out Friday morning around 10 a.m. and started driving north. I was wedged in between suitcases, an espresso machine and a bunch of wine bottles, but it was all good. I had my bed, my squirrel and my deer antler.

We took a brief detour in Greenville, South Carolina, and toured the campus of Furman University. Pa said that's where Ma got educated. Here's a photo of us in front of the big fountain by the main gate:

After we tooled around the campus and I christened the million-dollar manicured lawns, we drove across town to the Pita House, one of my ma's favorite places to eat in college, for a late lunch. I even got a taste of some pita bread baked just that morning.

We continued on our way and meandered up towards Asheville and then west towards Waynesville. Our little creekside cabin, Sit 'N Whittle, was the perfect place to relax and unwind:

There were all kinds of new smells for me to explore. On Saturday, we headed out again to drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway to Asheville. The Blue Ridge Parkway is a National Parkway that runs a total of 469 miles, mostly along the Blue Ridge mountain chain. We stopped at the highest point - 6,053 feet - and enjoyed temps in the high 50s. Quite a change from Swampy Savannah!

All that sightseeing and driving got us hungry, so we went to Weaverville, the town north of Asheville where my Ma and Pa got hitched. It was a lovely breezy day, and we sat outside on the front porch of Blue Mountain Pizza and enjoyed live bluegrass music, libations and delicious pie.

I got to monitor the street festival from this perch:

On Sunday, Ma and Pa told me I was going to have a party with some new friends, Cam and Nico. I wasn't too sure of them at first, but I warmed up quickly and we celebrated our nation's Independence Day over pork and lamb burgers, sausages, grilled zucchini, baked beans, watermelon and ice cream. I had to settle for kibble. Again.

The weekend came and went too quickly, but Ma and Pa said I get to go back in October. Until then, I'll be dreaming of long walks on mountain roads.




No comments:

Post a Comment