Sunday, August 22, 2010

Mama's Pound Cake

There are a few tastes that immediately make me think of my Mama: homemade spaghetti, chicken n' dumplins and pound cake. Fortunately for me, my mom hand wrote all of my favorite recipes in a recipe book a few years ago for my birthday. It was a present I will always cherish.

Last weekend we wanted something sweet to eat, and decided to try an angel food recipe from Martha Stewart. Now, maybe my skills left something to be desired or maybe Martha's minions did not transcribe the recipe just so, but the results were terrible. So this weekend I decided to bake my mom's pound cake recipe. It's never failed me, and it didn't disappoint today.

One addition to the pound cake - a white lemon icing. Two cups confectioner's sugar with lemon juice and lemon zest. You can use any kind of citrus you like - I bet orange would be wonderful, too.

So, if you're looking for the "Best Ever Pound Cake" recipe, look no further. Here it is:

3 c. sugar
1/2 c. Crisco
1 c. butter (room temp)
5 eggs (room temp)
3 c. cake flour
1 c. milk (room temp)
1 t. vanilla

Do not pre-heat oven. Cream sugar, shortening and butter. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each. Add flour, flavoring and milk and beat until creamy. Alternate flour and milk. Bake in greased and floured pan at 325 degrees for one hour. Increase heat to 350 degrees and bake an additional 30 minutes.


5 comments:

  1. Sounds delish! Do you think it would hold up for a dip in chocolate fondue? We're having a party Sat night and a homemade pound cake would be so much better that Sarah Lee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss Nikki,

    My mama says she thinks it would, but she has never tried it. It is not a crumbly pound cake at all, and really pretty easy to make. Super moist! (I got to taste, too!)

    Love,
    Sadie

    ReplyDelete
  3. How was it? Did Tex get to taste?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! I use Mary Louise's favorite recipe, also on a handwritten card that is actually titled, "Ann's Mama's Pound Cake." So, generations from now, someone might have, "Nancy's Mama's Pound Cake!"

    ReplyDelete