Friday, October 15, 2010

A Date with the Dandy

Last weekend on our way back from the mountains, we stopped in Flat Rock, NC, to visit the home of American poet Carl Sandburg, see Mrs. Sandburg's champion dairy goats and hike up to Big Glassy Mountain. The best part of the trip, however, was getting to see my mom's friend, The Manly Dandy. It was the perfect opportunity to ask him some questions I've always wanted to ask.

Hello, Manly Dandy. Thanks for interviewing me for your blog. I think turnabout is fair play, don't you? Would you mind answering some questions for me?

Sadie, reciprocity can be the spice of life in the right soup and I would love nothing more at the moment than to answer your questions.

Do you remember the first time you met me? What did you think about me?

I had seen so many pictures of you being close with your owners, I mean parents. What do you like to call them? I was always chagrined that we never had a chance to meet previously. I was hoping you would be at their wedding or at the wedding party or at my party in Charleston. Yet, you were very busy with your own projects and humanitarian endeavors such as Pet Rescue and Habitat of Humanity. When I walked into your gorgeous mid-century home and saw you in the entrance way, I was truly overwhelmed. You were so regal and shiny, I was a bit giddy. Then you were so warm and friendly and a true lady. It was love at first sight. I am glad we are friends.

What fashion choices would best complement my low and long body structure?

I wouldn't change anything about you! Your coat is perfect. Maybe you could dabble in some accessories like a handsome scarf or ascot like the Manly Dandy (both laugh out loud together). You would look fabulous in something simple and silver from Tiffany. I will tell Peter that is what you truly need for the holidays.

What are your favorite clothing items to wear?

I am usually wearing a scarf or an ascot. People think this is vanity but it is practicality. I get cold rather easily. I am always carrying a nice bag, usually Gucci. I am loyal to their craftsmanship and style. Sometimes, I carry a Cole Haan soft brief case when I travel. You know I LOVE hand-sewn loafers or fun sneakers. Alexander McQueen, Paul Smith, Emma Hope have all made fun sneakers. And as Miley Cyrus sang, I always have on a dream and a cardigan. Again, I get cold.

Who are your favorite designers?

I wear a lot of Billy Reid because I am Southern, stylish and quotidian. I like the attitude of Billy Reid and the aesthetic of the stores because it reminds me of my life in Western North Carolina: relaxed, gracious, warm and lots of taxidermy. Lately, I have been obsessed with Duckie Brown because "dressing men beautifully" is an art. Paul Smith satisfies my desire for color coupled with sharp habberdashery. Anyone who knows me knows that I live in James Perse, Vince, Theory, Hugo Boss, Ralph Lauren and Lacoste as staples. I have a few fantastic vintage pieces from Hermes and Balenciaga and Pucci. I must say style is not about a designer but it is about celebrating who you are, your uniqueness, your strengths, your you.

Do you subscribe to my 'nudity is best' philosophy?

YES! Love your body, it's the only one you've got.

What is your favorite color?

I have to have one? My favorite neutral is grey but my favorite color is orange. It is bright, vibrant and not afraid.

What is your favorite thing to eat for S-U-P-P-E-R?

I love adventurous cuisine. But more important than what to eat is HOW to eat. I love long dinners with good friends where there is much laughter and engaging conversation. The table setting with lovely flowers, candles and interesting serving pieces add to the aesthetics of the event. I am not overly religious but that is what heaven must be like. Well, that or the third floor at Barneys.

What is your favorite music/song?

Anything I can dance to. I love disco, that was such a freakishly free and stylish era where many groups came together for one purpose: a good time. All dressed in Halston of course. I also love some old school country, that has such gorgeous styling too.

I know you are also an education advocate, Mr. Dandy, because of your other business, Crisp Consulting + Coaching. I live next door to a school and I really wish I could ride on those yellow school buses. If my parents wanted to get me into a good school, what would be your number one piece of advice?

Discover and celebrate your child's strengths and talents and then seek a school that will foster those strengths. We often put students in schools that dictate what is wrong about them instead of celebrating them as vibrant and wonderful individuals. So if you are great at asking questions, find a school that will celebrate and capitalize on your ability to ask questions. If you love to tinker then find a school that will allow you to create meaning through play and tinkering.

What is the biggest issue facing American public education today?

American public education has myriad issues at the moment and I am encouraged that people are talking about films such as Waiting For Superman and Race to Nowhere. Yet, a serious problem is the standardization of education. To me, this employs an industrial model that negates the role and experiences of individuals. Standards should be for inanimate objects like cars or tools. Yet, we think of education as everyone knowing the same thing at the same time. To me, that is the antithesis of being a citizen of the USA. We are individuals and pioneers. We should celebrate and find new paradigms for individualize education. This industrial model is also preparing students for an economic future that is long past. We need to change our paradigm of education.

Would it help if some of those kids went to obedience school, like me?

It would help if students went to vibrant schools and were supported by all members of the community. Children are the real investment of the country.

Did I mention I was valedictorian of my obedience school?

You were? That doesn't surprise me since you are a super model citizen! You're the Linda Evangelista of the canine world. I wish we could talk like this every day Sadie.

Remember when you came to visit and we had a RuPaul dance party? Answer truthfully - were you jealous of my boogie?

I couldn't stop giving you the looky loo because Ms. Sadie, your milkshake brings ALL the boys to the yard.

1 comment:

  1. THis is too funny and too true- Walter and I enjoyed reading it! Thank you!

    Walter and Mama(or as walter says BECCA!!!)

    ReplyDelete