Thursday, March 17, 2011

Éirinn go Brách, Savannah Style

Happy St. Patrick's Day, everybody! Well, while my ma and pa are at work and all our friends are downtown at the parade drinking green beer, I have to make do with a celebration for one. Don't I look festive?

The parade, which started as a Savannah tradition in 1824, began at 10 this morning, and I think I can still hear the bagpipes out here in Ardsley Park. City officials are expecting 400,000 people here for the celebration, which is officially the seventh oldest in America. (New York's is the oldest, having originated in 1762.)

Did you know that originally the color blue was associated with Saint Patrick? Over the years, though, green became the color of choice. Good thing, too, because I wouldn't like blue beer.

2 comments:

  1. Love it Sadie! Tell your ma and pa to be green responsibly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Miss Leah,

    My mom is very responsible with her green, but my pa refuses to wear it since his people oppressed the Irish for 800 years. Isn't that ugly?

    Love,
    Sadie

    ReplyDelete