Sunday, September 19, 2010

A Not-So-Secret Garden

"The love of gardening is a seed once sown that never dies." -Gertrude Jekyll

Yesterday was a busy day in our household. I was outside most of the day helping my mom put in our fall garden. First, my pa made a frame for a raised bed garden and filled it with a mixture of topsoil, mulch and mushroom compost:

My mom went to Sandfly to her favorite nurseries and picked up seeds and seedlings:

She bought butterleaf and Romaine lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, arugula (or what my pa calls 'rocket'), Mesclun, beets, carrots, radishes and onions. She also got some new herbs to supplement her herb garden:

Here are the spinach plants going into their new bed:

And here are the lettuce plants enjoying the view of Atlantic Avenue:

I'm going to do my best to keep an eye on the garden and keep squirrels out. I will definitely NOT dig in this dirt and take a cool nap.

Here's to a bountiful fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment