Friday, February 5, 2010

Rainy Days and Fridays Always Get Me Down

It's days like this - rainy, cold and windy - that can really get a hound down and make her miss those that are no longer with us. Like my friend Kate here. She went to play in God's backyard last month and I know her mom is really missing her today. (Her mom also said she was a poodle, but I am not so sure.) Or my predecessor, Beauregard (below), who my mom referred to as a "model citizen."

But it is the nature of the basset hound to be perpetually happy, so you just have to find a way to wag your tail and keep going. I like to remember fellow furbabies by doing something nice for other animals. My mom volunteers with Coastal Pet Rescue, an organization that provides pet rescue to homeless pets through local county animal shelters, placement assistance for owners needing to place their pets, and a feral cat trap-neuter-return program. They also serve as an educational resource to the community, providing humane education opportunities and low-cost microchipping clinics. Since I came from an all volunteer non-profit, no-kill rescue group myself, I always like to help out when I can. After my mom and I moved to Savannah (and into a much smaller house), we went through my toys and got rid of duplicates and ones I didn't play with any more by donating them to Coastal Pet Rescue.

Speaking of Coastal Pet Rescue, today is their seventh birthday (that's 49 in dog years!) and to celebrate they're having a birthday bash at TailsSpin tomorrow from 11 a.m. until 3 p.m. at Habersham Village Shopping Center on the corner of Habersham and E. 61st Streets. There will be cake and an adoption session during the event. With every pet adoption, TailsSpin will be offering a free engraved pet ID tag, a free small bag of dog food, and 10% off the day’s purchase. So if you're in the Savannah area, come on out and find your furever friend. Or, find a similar organization in your community. Sadie and the furbabies will thank you!

1 comment: